Tuesday, August 2, 2011

“Making Change” Waterfront Park Pier, Charleston, SC

Click to bid

What is it about a street vendor that draws our attention? Somehow they seem to wake up a sleepy place or calm down a busy one. How can they possibly do both? With their offerings and many times colorful wares, they draw both young and old. Either way, artists have always felt compelled to paint them as they interact with their buying public.

I met this vendor at Charleston’s Waterfront Park Pier when she needed help raising her umbrella (she was not tall enough). After helping her, my daughter and I took some photographs of her as we watched her greet and serve her customers. The small oil study I have painted above will eventually be a larger painting.

Waterfront Park Pier is a great place to paint or get images to paint. People are about like the vendor I mentioned above, or others sitting on benches, resting with their loved ones, or reading newspapers. There will often be folks fishing off the end of the pier. You also have the chance of photographing a passing sailboat and of course the water and marsh areas present many other opportunities. As an artist, I am always looking for places and scenes like this. For me, it is the rare place that has so many artistic possibilities like this pier has. I always find myself drawn to Charleston – and this place is one of the reasons why. 

Thank you so much for visiting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment