Friday, March 23, 2012

Forsythia and Bowl study

Forsythia and Bowl study, 5 x 7, oil (click to bid)
The forsythia is in full bloom making a bright spot in my otherwise unkempt winter yard. I always know (feel guilty is more like it) that it is time to get out and do some spring yard work when I see that blazing bush.

It is such an intense, bright, yellow color and I purposely tone the chroma down a bit so as not to overpower the painting. I do that (mute my color) quite a bit when painting. It gives a calmness to a painting that I like. Yellow is a happy color - I got the following from a squidoo.com web site: "Yellow shines with optimism, enlightenment, and happiness. Shades of golden yellow carry the promise of a positive future. Yellow will advance from surrounding colors and instill optimism and energy, as well as spark creative thoughts."

How the color yellow affects us mentally and physically
* Mentally stimulating
* Stimulates the nervous system
* Activates memory
* Encourages communication

Sounds like we all need a bit more yellow in our lives.

I love to paint forsythia. It lends itself to a loose style that I like in still life paintings. I plan on doing a large forsythia painting next week after finishing another project I am currently working on. 

Thanks for your visit - I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment